Health

How Toxic Chemicals May Be Causing Your Asthma

bvYou may be shocked to learn according to the EPA, most homes have airborne concentrations of hazardous and toxic chemicals that are two to five times higher indoors than outdoors. In one five-year study the EPA reported that a number of homes had chemical levels that were seventy times higher inside the homes than outside! Learn how toxic chemicals in your home may be causing your asthma.

Most consumer products we use every day contain over sixty-three hazardous products which includes hundreds of different toxic chemicals. The products we clean our homes with are filled with toxic chemicals. We use these products with no protection at all and with no ventilation. Industry workers are required to wear special gloves and goggles when dealing with chemicals just like the ones we use every day.

We assume that just because the products are sold in the stores that they are safe to use. Toxic chemicals can enter our bodies by swallowing, absorbing through the skin, and breathing the air.

Here is a list of some dangers of using cleaning products:

TIDE & CHEER DETERGENT: Can cause temporary respiratory tract irritation. Can cause asthma attacks.

CLOROX: Eye, skin and respiratory irritant. Especially hazardous to people with heart conditions or asthma.

LYSOL DISINFECTANT: Eye, skin, respiratory tract irritant.

DEODORANT SOAP: may cause cancer; causes asthma; irritates lungs.

TOILET BOWL CLEANER: very toxic, causes skin, nose, throat, and lung burns

And many more…

Breathing in the toxic fumes may cause serious reactions such as burning eyes, runny noses, headaches, problems breathing, etc. Touching the products with your skin may cause skin rashes not only that the toxic chemicals go straight to your bloodstream.

People with existing lung conditions such as asthma should avoid all toxic products especially the use of aerosol products according to The American Lung Association.

If you still aren’t convinced that chemicals in your home are making you sick then take a look at the list below:

The following household products are considered hazardous waste according to the San Francisco Household Hazardous Waste Program. This is only just a few:

– Ammonia cleaners
– Chlorine bleach
– Cleansers
– Disinfectants
– Furniture and floor polish
– Oven cleaner

Because household products are considered hazardous materials, the government does not allow us to throw them in the trash. Any toxic cleaning product must be disposed of by a special Household Hazardous Waste pick-up and placed in special toxic-waste dumps.

What does this really mean for you – toxic chemicals in our household cleaners are making us sick. Asthma sufferers are especially sensitive to chemicals because when we breathe in the toxic chemicals our immune system goes in overdrive. We react by wheezing, shortness of breath, coughing, even asthma attacks.

Why are we using these products when they are considered hazardous waste and may cause serious health issues like asthma?